Wednesday, September 7, 2005

Three Month Heartbreak

can't believe that it's been three months here already.

I also can't believe how heartbroken I am about my hometown.

I guess that some people might not know, but I was born in New Orleans. Even though I didn't grow up there, I still have this strong yet strange connection to the city. I have spent the last week fighting back tears and holding back screams. It hurts so bad that so many people have passed away and even more are forced to leave their homes after a horrible act of nature. It bugs me that everyone knew that the threat of New Orleans sinking was real, but nothing has ever been done about it.

I don't want this to turn into a political rant so I'll state my piece and be done. The Bush administration's response to this tragedy is appalling!

I feel so helpless this far away from home. I can't do anything to help from 3000 miles away. I've given to the American Red Cross and I encourage you all to do the same.

I'm proud of my friends who are back home for being strong and helping in the ways they have. You all are inspirations and I wish desperately that I could be among you. Sadly, I know that if I come home, I won't return to the big apple. Homesickness is truly a sickness indeed.

On another note, I hit the cover off of a baseball yesterday. Granted, it was a cheap baseball that the seams were already split on, but nonetheless, I crushed it.

I hope those who read this are ok and your families are ok. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you, even though I'm so far from my home. Peace.

No comments: