Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Price of Sugar

Hello everyone.

I apologize that my sense of humor is running on fumes today. I was up late last night and stumbled across a myspace profile that tugged at my heartstrings.

"The Price of Sugar" Film


This brings back a lot of memories. In the summer of 1998, just before my senior year of high school, I traveled along with my youth group to the Dominican Republic to interact and serve these very people. We worked closely with a different church and a different pastor, but our mission was the same.

I am so fortunate that I was able to take that trip. I learned so much about the positive nature of humanity, which is a lesson that I struggle with daily. People, in absolute poverty and without any worldly possessions, were the happiest, most joyous people you could find. I met amazing people, both Dominican and Haitian, and even in my own group.

I ask that you at least watch the trailer.







Their website is also available as a resource:
The Price of Sugar Website

I particularly recommend the "Take Action" section.

I wish I could find my pictures from that trip almost ten years ago.




Also, Happy Birthday to JT$.

No comments: