Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Softball: Pt. 1

Howdy Sports Fans.
I'm pretty excited about the next two months.
I'm playing with two softball teams this fall and I have a good feeling about both teams. For each team, the season is seven weeks long with a doubleheader everyweek.

On Tuesday nights, I'll be playing with a Coed team called 'Squeeze Play'.
We had our first two games last night and even though we lost both games, I think we played well, showed a good bit of hustle, and made solid contact. We also made some errors, both fielding and mental, but I think we can learn from those mistakes and make up for them in the long run.

In the first game, I played right field and went 2-4 at the plate.
My first at-bat was lame. I took the first pitch for a called strike. It was a good call by the umpire, I just couldn't have done anything with it, as it was letter high and on the inside part of the plate. The second pitch was a huge meatball and I swung like an idiot and popped out behind second base.
My second at-bat I lined a pitch right at the pitcher's feet. Now here is where I f*ed up. In the rules, it says that if a ball is hit at the pitcher and they make a play at the ball, it is in play and the force or tag out rules apply, but if the pitcher makes a defensive move, the batter is out. I didn't run the play out and was called out. That's my fault and I'll run hard on every play next time.
I did get two solid singles later in the game and was on first base as the winning run, down 4-3 in the bottom of the 7th, but we weren't able to make anything else happen that inning.

The second game was a mess. I was tired and felt like my blood sugar was tanking. I ran and bought a Powerade from the concession stand, but as it happens, the drink didn't do anything for me because I m plain out-of-shape! (Aerobically speaking.....I have the svelte body of a 12 year old....with diabetes).
I made some decent catches in the outfield. There was one play that particularly pissed me off though. We played last night down a player. You can play ten and we just didn't have an extra female. So not only did we have to take an automatic out at the end of our batting order every time, but we were covering a very large outfield with only three players.
I know, I know....."Baseball players always play with only three outfielders!", you say. But here is the difference: Baseballs are hit harder, and usually higher than, and less frequently than softballs. Oh, and did I mention I was out-of-shape? (Again, aerobically speaking).

Ok, so the play I alluded to earlier. Down 4-2, late in the game, two on, one out....The other team had two left handed hitters, and we (all three of the outfielders) would shift accordingly. This worked to perfection as those particular hitters only flew out whenever they would pull the ball. (I said I was out-of-shape.....I never said I was slow!)

The problem arose when a right-handed hitter stepped in and we shifted back to shade him to left field......this asshole, knowing we're an outfielder short, pokes the ball down the rightfield line. I had one hell of a run to get to that ball and I think I tweaked my groin muscle while running it down (uneven outfield). Anyways....I thought that was a little dirty on that hitter's part, but kudos to him for having the bat control to take a pitch the other way. I wish I could do it.

And much to my dismay, I went 0-2 at the plate in Game 2, as I lined out to the pitcher and popped out to short. I let my anger get the best of me after that last AB and threw my bat on the ground....I then quickly got a warning from the Umpire.

ok.
So that's update 1.
I'll do my best to keep this up and give you a stat line at the bottom. Honestly, this blog is more for me anyways, just to keep up with my own progress through the season.
Wish me luck, as tomorrow I start play with a men's league.....That double header is gonna be tough, 'cause I'm already sore as hell!!!

STATS:


Game 1: 2-4, 1B
Game 2: 0-2

Season Average: .333

No comments: