Thursday, August 24, 2006

Tour: Part Four

So after a few brief moments of rest, along with band practices, trying to hang out with various friends as much as possible and attempting to catch up on some drinking, David and I finally played our homecoming show. Well, maybe it was just my homecoming show, since David still lives here, and was only gone for five days last week.


Irregardless, The Spanish Moon show definitely happened.


I don't know if I had just gotten my hopes up, or if it was in fact a well attended show. It was a Wednesday night, in Baton Rouge, and it was raining for a spell......which generally means hardly anyone goes out. I knew that. I've known that pattern for years. I was just hoping for a grander scale.


That complaining now having been complained, the people that did come out are AWESOME! Some I hung out with the night before, some I haven't seen in what seems like five years. But I had a blast, probably a little too much to drink, but a blast nonetheless.


"Car-Bomb-A-Thon '06" began the night for Mr. John Tulley. He had been talking about shooting "Irish Carbombs" for three days. In all honesty, I thought the birthday boy would have been passed out half-way through my set....but he rocked hard for the whole night, even after pulling double-duty as the bass player for both David and I.


David started the night off in the fashionably late style. Eleven PM rolled around as the place at least started to fill, mind you, it never actually continued to fill, but a start was good. David was backed by Drew Greene on drums and as previously mentioned, JT$ on bass guitar. His set was excellent and well played. It's a much different experience to see David play with a backing band. It adds a great amount of depth to each song. Usually when he plays alone, Dave fills a lot of space with his quick fingers and little quips on the high strings, but tonight, those elements were still there, but he let the band to the talking. It sounded gooooooooood.


I'm not really sure what time it was when we finally meandered on stage. It must have been at least midnight. Tom already had his drumset on stage and setup by the time I realized we were even supposed to start. I think I had gone to the bathroom and assumed David's band was wtill packing up. So I stumbled up the stairs and picked up my guitar. Brandon was already tuned and ready to go. John was strapped in after a brief moment of respite. So we got the levels checked, thanks to Talley, our excellent sound guy for the evening. And then we comenced to rocking.


I think we played really well. During practices and afterwards, I kept alluding to being in my band is like riding a bike.....once you learn how to do it, you don't really ever forget how its done. My on-again/off-again love affair with being in a band is the same way. Once you've played a show with me, you don't really forget the tunes whenever the next gig rolls around. Even though its been almost eight months since John and Brandon played with me, and a year or more since Tom played with me last, we rode that bike like we had been riding the whole time. Only a few beats were missed, and I think it was mostly my fault.....except when Brandon started playing along with "You'll Be Fine" by playing the wrong chords. Way to go, turd.


So. In summary, I think we played well. I think David and his band played very well. I think David put that heckler in his place (I'll let him tell you that story). It was awesome to hang out with so many familiar faces. It was great that Holly wore her "  HEART Chris Keegan" t-shirt. I think more cute girls should own that shirt. Like an army of adoring female fans that I probably still wouldn't have a chance with. Damn.


As the sky is falling outside, I'm pondering the next stops on this tour. Birmingham tomorrow, Columbia on Saturday, and on to the ATL.


If you're reading this and in one of those cities, c'mon down!


Rock.

No comments: