Monday, August 21, 2006

Tour: Parts Two and Three

PART TWO


Hola mis amigos. Yo necescito el bano.


Friday, David and I were still in Houston. We hung out with David's sister Carol and went to this massive candy store and David loaded up on some of the sweet stuff. Then it was off to the Menil, which is a small museum with some cool art and artifacts. After a quick lunch at a trendy but national grocery store, we headed back to the house, hit up the game Catchprase for hours and then went out on the town with Carol and her husband Fred.


Saturday morning, when David woke me up with monster noises, it was monsooning. We needed to depart Houston with a quickness and so I showered as quickly as possible, threw all my crap into my bag and we headed out like a baby through a birth canal.


PART THREE


David, being the uber-ninja that he is, found us a "possible" show at a place called Cafe Brazil (a chain of coffee shop/restaurants in Dallas). After trying to reach the manager/booking guy for a whole week, we finally managed to peg him down on Friday. The only drag was that we had to be in Dallas, at the cafe, by 2:00pm. Thank the good Lord above that he blessed me with a lead foot, because we were parked and seated at the counter by 2:01pm.


We actually thought this guy was blowing us off and that he'd be a big jerk, but contrary to our bad attitudes (who, me?), the guy finally came to meet with us after he had his own buiness meeting to attend. He told us that he couldn't pay us, but we could have all the coffee we wanted! Neither David or I drink coffee..........damn. But he offered us a place to hang out and play. So David and I showed up at 8pm and played for about two hours. We ended up playing every song together, whether it was David's tunes or mine, or even a few covers of A Soup Named Stew, the Cure and New Order. It was an amazing time, and even though the crowd was sparse, we had a blast and I even sold a couple of CDs.


Yet again, David's family came to the rescue. David's oldest sister, Karen and her husband Bernie allowed us to invade their home too and have been awesome hosts, which apparently runs in Dave's family. Must be genetic or something. After the show last night, Bernie led us to a bar called the Ginger Man. Beer taps galore!!!! My kind of place, except that it was like 200 degrees outside at like 11:30pm. Dry heat, my ass.


Today, or well, tonight, we played at Club DaDa in Deep Ellum, which I guess you would say is the cool place to be in Dallas. Tons of clubs and apparently a ton of live music every night of the week. Tonight's show was actually an open mic night. So, in an effort to take up more time than the 20 minutes per set each, we signed up for a third installment as "The Sockpuppets", which was David and I's band from camp all those years ago. People really seemed to enjoy each of the three sets. In fact, there was one couple that was so enthralled by one of my songs, that they just commenced to makin' out right there in front of God and everybody. Rock on. Granted, I didn't get any play on this leg of the tour, but I totally lived vicariously through that guy.


So tomorrow it's back home to BR for a few days of rest and band practice, and then on Wednesday night August 23rd, it's David Loti and Chris Keegan @ The Spanish Moon!!!! Be there or be a triangle.....or something....I dunno, I think I failed geometry. 

No comments: