Friday, August 11, 2006

Two Things this Time

Two things this time.


I hate moving, but I'm afraid I'm done yet. I'm sure at some point I'll have to pack up all my crap and move along to yet another stop in this odd trip. Most recently, for those of you keeping score, I've stumbled into Durham, North Carolina. Perhaps, I'm a slacker and I'm just getting around to rambling about this, but I've been here for a month. I'm crashing on Big C's couch for the meantime.....well, at least I have been, Jonathan gave me his bed today, so I'll actually be using the room that Corey gave me for sleeping, instead of just storage.


I guess I expected bigger fanfare when I arrived. Big C and I have spent many an evening carrying on, perhaps a bit too far. In fact, I've had several mornings where I wished I hadn't woken up. But we did purchase some fancy lawn chairs and have had a few evenings turn to early mornings on the porch. I'm excited to be in place where grilling at will is totally possible. Plenty of hamburgers have been rabbled down my gullet.


I'm sad to see Jonathan headed back to Deustchland so soon after my arrival, and I'm not sure that I'll ever understand his attachment to such a foreign place, but he is really happy about it and he's smarter than me, so I'll just hope he decides to make it back here sooner rather than never. Curiously, that's about the extent of my stay in Durham so far. Drinking, Eating, and Watching plenty of baseball! I'm glad to have my two buddies around again. I'm sorry that the enjoyment can't be shared by everybody in the area, and that I'm running out of beer $$. So as everyone learns to live their own seperate lives, I'll just try and stay slightly inebriated till it all passes over.


That is, except while I'm driving.


I'm stoked. For once. I'm finally taking the opportunity to hop in a motor vehicle and drive around part of the country and play some tunes. It's been almost ten years since the last time I got to play music in a city other than the one I lived in. Granted, BUG's first few forays into the world of a touring band were amazingly fun. Thousands of great stories still get told about those trips to KC. But this is the first time I've ventured out on my own.........or at least to play my own music.


For the last six years since I've been on my own (musically speaking), I've always given way to supposed pressures of my job(s), hindrance of transportation, and other factors that I now view as ridiculous. Call it growing up, call it being an asshole......whatever. I'm finally doing it, although I could not do it alone! David Loti, you are my hero......in so many ways.


We're off, next week. Seven shows all around the southeast. Dave did most of the work.....in fact, all I was really ever able to accomplish was coming up with the idea and a list of cities we should target as possible venues for our unique brand of Wuss Rock. Much to his chagrin, David had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more luck in trying to book shows. One time, I was actually able to secure a show but then had to call back and cancel, after Dave had already booked a show on the same evening. The only other time I managed to get a response from a venue, it was to tell me that a certain Mr. Loti had already been in contact and they were "pleased to inform me of a time slot" that had already been secured.


So, take away my shortcomings as a booking agent. Subtract my distaste for living life as a nomad from my desire to wake up in a new city every day. Introduce a barrel-type container of chimpanzees (I don't want to get sued for trademark infringement), and let the tour begin!


See ya, suckers!

No comments: