Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Softball: Pt. 6 & 7

Ok.....sorry about not writing last week.
Last Thursday: Men's League.....
I went 2-3 with a walk and a run scored.

Got the ol' Batting Average up to .500 in that league!!

Game one: we jumped out to a nice 3-0 lead....but couldn't hold it. We lost like 15-5.

Game two: we did not jump out to a lead. I think we scored one run.........on an inside the park homerun by a guy who was just filling a roster spot for us.

So we're 0-6. But we know we're terrible and we've resolved to just trying to get a few runs and keep the other team from having too many huge innings.

After the games, I hustled back to my truck and stripped off the hideous uniform and threw on some clothes and headed to the Station Inn to hear the Red Stick Ramblers!
It was an amazing show. Those guys are so incredibly talented. I didn't even know I liked Cajun Music and Western Swing until I started working with Glenn and went to see them play about 5 years ago. Through lineup changes and just years on the road, they are as tight as a band can be.

It was really great to see Glenn.....I miss that guy. I also miss cruising the streets of BR in his 1967 Cadillac Coupe de Ville. Good times, indeed.

So tonight: Co-Ed league......

Game 1: horrible!
Not only did we get creamed.....it wasn't close.....and a lot of it was my fault!
I was playing in right/center field (four outfielders) and I committed at least five errors......I kicked the ball while trying to field it......and on one particularly bad play, i booted it twice! I yelled "F***" so loudly that I got a warning from the home plate umpire!!! oops.

Our pitcher hurt himself on a boneheaded slide/tumble into second and had to go to the hospital (possibly broke his wrist), so they pulled me from right and stuck me at shortstop, as our SS went to pitch.....I dread playing shortstop.....I know it's softball, but shortstop is a tough position and I always imagined myself being terrible at it.

Surprisingly, I wasn't that bad. I only made one bad throw and six putouts.

I somehow managed to go 1-2 at the dish.

Game 2: HEARTBREAKER!!!!!

I played 1st base this game. I liked first! I didn't look like a schlub out there. I maintained a 1.000 fielding % at first base. I had 8 putouts, mostly popups to shallow right.

This was by far our best game of the season. We jumped out to a 5-0 lead. We even held that 5-0 until the 5th inning. Jeff stated that if we one the game we'd all go for beers after the game and stipulated that if we somehow managed to keep the game a shutout, he'd buy the first two rounds!!!! WHOOO HOOOOOOO!!!! Free Beer!!!

Bottom half of the inning, the score 5 runs.
Bottom of the 6th: they score 3.

Top of the seventh. We're down 8-5. We've had to take an automatic out because our pitcher is unable to play. Down 3, 1 out. .......the tension builds.....for about twenty seconds. Pop out, Groundout. Game over. Sonofabitch!!!!

I went 2-4 on the night with an RBI in game two. Average is down twelve points to .533

So we're 2-6....but could have been 3-5.
And I didn't get any free beer.......or any beer for that matter.
Damn.

No comments: