Thursday, September 27, 2007

Softball: Pt. 8

Honestly, I only keep categorizing these blogs as 'Sports' because they don't have a distinction for 'Excercises in Futility".

Swept again.
0-8
Surprisingly, I had a decent night though. Game 1, I took a walk, but was stranded at first. Game 2, I got an RBI single and scored a run. We still lost. I caught everything that was hit my way.....all two chances I got stuck out in rightfield.

I'm actually kind of excited that we only have three more weeks of this.....I haven't really enjoyed getting pounded every game this season. I think my biggest problem is that our "coach" (better yet, team captain), Seth, is out of sorts. He shows a lot of enthusiasm and hustles his ass off on every play.....my problem is this. I get corrected or yelled at on basically everything I do. "There's two outs, you should have tried to score from first the second you hear the crack of the bat!!!!!", or "Move in! A right-handed hitter isn't gonna hit it to deep right!" (Crack.....ball flys over my poorly positioned head....grumblegrumble). Further more....he never yells at the guys on the team that really suck.

Look....I know I'm not A-Rod, or Junior, or even Mario Mendoza (the guy who they coined the phrase "The Mendoza Line" after.....which means to hit around .200, which is not good). I'm just a guy who likes to play and have fun and hopes to win at least once in a while. But some of these guys can't even catch a ball!!!! The guy they have playing third base has a glove slightly smaller than my glove......FROM WHEN I PLAYED TEEBALL WHEN I WAS 7!!!!!! How the hell do you expect to make any plays with that glove?! I make my share of mistakes.....but when I'm stuck in rightfield, with nothing better to do than stare at all of the errors that my team commits....I get severely frustrated.

And I hate to be THAT GUY, but for some reason, I always get stuck at the bottom of lineups. In both leagues....what the hell? What's a guy gotta do to hit in the top of the order and see the plate more than twice a night?! In the men's league, I'm hitting .571 with two walks, two runs batted in and two runs scored......you know why I've only got 2 RBI's and 2 runs? Because I'm stuck at the bottom of the order where the other guys around me pop up the first pitch that is thrown to them and then go back to the dugout and smoke a cigarette!!!!

SERIOUSLY!!!!

In the men's league, I have a .667 OBP (On-Base Percentage (OBP): The total number of hits [6] + Bases on Balls [2] + hits by Pitch [0] DIVIDED BY at bats [7] + Bases on Balls [2] + hit by Pitch [0] + Sacrifice Flies[0]=.667).

In the Co-ed league, I'm batting .533, with three RBIs and a run scored, and an OBP of .533.

Combine the two and I'm at .545 avg, 5 RBIs, three runs and an OBP of .583.
Not too shabby. I know of two guys off the top of my head who have yet to even reach base safely in a game this season.

My point being is that I'm not the greatest softball player. I'm not the Babe Ruth of Nashville Slowpitch. But I could be a contributor. I could set the table or help clear it.

I'm just sayin'......

No comments: