Friday, October 5, 2007

Softball: Pt. 10

I'm sensing a pattern.
From now on, Thursday's Game Blog will most likely happen on Friday, as I am usually exhausted by the time I get home on Thursday night.

Good news though!

We won our first game last night!!!!!
12-7. I don't know how it happened, but we put up 12 runs against what was supposed to be a really good team! I went 2-4 with two RBIs and a run scored....and the thing is that I'm more impressed that I got 4 AT BATS!!!!! FOUR!!!!! I never get four at bats. I usually get one....maybe two. But four?! and I was batting eigth in the order!
I don't know what got into our team, but it was dramatically different from the previous five weeks....in a great way!

Game 2 is when we came slightly back to form.
We got drilled 18-2. Our pitcher tired out a bit. Our fielding was still better than it has been, but the other team just started popping the ball over the infielder's heads and in front of us outfielders. I went 1-2 at the plate with one RBI and a run scored.

The run was a controversial one. I was on second as the ball was hit to right-center. I was gonna pull up and stop at third, but Seth (coaching Third Base) started flailing his arm and screaming "GO HOME! GET IN THE HOUSE!!!! SLIDE SLIDE SLIDE!!!!"
So I turned on what's left of my old high school speed and barrel around the bag and head to the plate. Just as I thought the relay man now hs the ball and I'm racing against his throw. I get to the plate after the ball and hit the deck. The catcher had caught the ball and was blocking the plate and my only play was to bowl him over. So I did and the Umpire initially called me out....but then as the dust cleared, the catcher didn't have the ball! I had jarred it loose from his mitt and Blue called me "SAFE!"

That was rewarding. Especially, because of the blood that I spilled. I jacked up my back somehow and I sustained a nice scrape on my right knee. It's smaller than it seemed last night. I guess it shrank after it was finished squirting blood.....or maybe I'm just a wuss.

Don't answer that! It was rhetorical.

.538 avg (7-13), 5 RBI, 4 Runs Scored, 2 BB, and a .600 OBP.
I could play for the Royals!!!! Then again, that might be too much work. But the winning percentages would be similar!

No comments: