Friday, October 26, 2007

You Won't Catch Me In a Sauna

I am terrible at seasonal transitions. When the weather changes, it takes me a few days to adjust accordingly.
Perhaps this is due to my having been raised in the deep south, where our seasons are as follows:

January-February = Winter (There is a possibility of temperatures below 40)
March-October = Summer (HOT)
October-December = Fall (Not as Hot)

The last few weeks have been quite pleasant here in Nashville. However, it has been raining most of the last week and with the extra moisture, colder temperatures have arrived. I'm usually a shorts-wearing type of guy, so it took me a bit to realize that I needed to switch to pants.

So I'm well into my pants and light jacket routine this week, and randomly, I woke up this morning and I was freezing. I checked weather.com and saw that it was 42 degrees (Fahrenheit) outside. I quickly formulated in my head that it would be a good idea to take a nice, hot shower and get the blood flowing.

Apparently, I got overzealous.

I ended up taking the hottest shower on record. It was like a sauna in my tiny bathroom. I realized that saunas are just plain weird. The hot water and steam that I had intended to wake up my senses ended up leaving me drained. I was weak and lame (not that I'm not usually weak and lame, but this is totally different). I felt tired all day and generally "blah".

I then started to think of why saunas even exist (I've got a LOT of time to think during the day, when I'm driving in my truck). I looked it up on Wikipedia. And I can't appreciate the idea of sitting in a blazing hot room (sometimes as hot as 212 degrees) with a bunch of naked dudes. Not that there's anything WRONG with that.....it just so happens that it isn't my particular flavor of diet soda.

So keep your towels on in the steamroom and reduce the heat in your showers.
Rock on people.

No comments: