Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Art of The Quick Trip

I am always surprised whenever I make a trip back to Baton Rouge, it never matters how long I stay, I usually end up thinking that I should have stayed one or two more days.

This past weekend was no different.

The only real change from my normal pattern is that I actually made a concious effort to spend time with my parents and tried very hard not to stay out past 4am. I succeeded in both categories.

Friday night I went out to eat with my Mom and Dad and my sister, Robin. Afterward, I ended up crashing in the arm chair while watching tv. Not the most hip way to spend a Friday night, but I'm okay with that. I, of all people, am not hip.

Saturday was also an effort to stay home, as I had two offers of LSU vs. Auburn tickets...and each of them were equally enticing.....but I decided to spend the day with my Dad and watch the game in glorious HD(!).

I made my way out late Saturday, after the thrilling Demetrius Byrd catch (seen below), to hang out with some quality people that I know. The only drag was that I could hardly see them due to the smoke machine that a noise-post-[insert music genre adjective here] rock band had employed throughout the evening,







Sunday, John and I forced the Amazing Brand-O and Christy to watch the Dark Crystal. I'll be absolutely honest. I loved this movie as a kid. And now, after having seen the special features, knowing how much time and work was put into making this film, I am still a big fan. But I do think the movie lacks something. Yes, I've gotten older (and recently older, still), so maybe the movie has lost that fantastic quality it once had.

I sloshed out of town on monday morning. No, I wasn't hungover....it was raining. I actually didn't drink that much this trip....believe it or not. The biggest disappointment was receiving a phone call from my boss after a solid six hours of driving, having just passed Tuscaloosa, AL, telling me that he didn't need me to come to work on Tuesday. So that long-desired, yet elusive, extra day slipped through my grasp again. Had I recieved that call somewhere near Hattiesburg, or maybe even Meridian.....I'd have pulled a cloverleaf U-turn and headed right back to BR.

All in all, I had a good trip. I saw a lot of the people that I specifically wanted to see, I unexpectedly ran into a few people that I was glad to see, I spent quality time with my family, and I got to see LSU win, albiet only on tv. Sadly, I missed out on seeing some people whom I intended to see....and to Tom and Holly and others, I sincerely apologize.

Until next time....which I hope is sooner (Thankgiving), rather than later (xmas).

Rock on peeps.
Go Rockies!
War VA Tech beating BC!!!

No comments: