Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Softball: Final

Wow.
7 weeks went fast!

Last night was fantastic.....We swept the double-header and finished the season 5-9.
Having started 0-fer, that's a good thing!

As a team, we really started to play well, and we found a pretty decent lineup that allowed us to score early....and as we discovered last night, often!

Game one started as a major victory and ended up almost a nail-biter.
We jumped out to a 12-3 lead and ended up winning 12-10. All of our offense came in the second inning when we batted around. I singled and walked, drove in two and scored twice in that inning alone. I walked again later in the game but was stranded at second.

Game two was probably our greatest game and biggest accomplishment as a team.

We fell behind quickly and dug ourselves into a deeper hole with some bad defensive plays....mostly my fault. Somehow, I forgot how to catch the ball. I was playing catcher for the first time all season and I had to field a couple of plays at the plate.

The first play was a lady tagging from third who honestly had no business charging the plate. I caught the ball early and stood my ground as she barreled into me. No harm, no foul. She was out by a mile. The next play was a relay throw from shortstop and I completely missed the ball as my eyes wandered to the much larger guy coming down the line full steam, with absolutely no intentions of stopping on account of me standing there.

Thankfully, we were able to overcome our mistakes and make a solid comeback. Everybody in the lineup came through in the clutch. Tara made some great pitches in the last few innings. Whether by pure skill or by pure luck, the ball danced to the inside and outside corners of the plate and for the last six or seven outs, the other team couldn't make any solid contact.

Jeff showed some incredible hustle, circling in from first on what ended up being a double. Cecilia made the most out of the least contact at the plate...she reached base three or four times, drove in two or three runs and scored at least twice. Our "ringer" Eric had arguably his worst night at the plate, popping up twice and drilling a line drive single, but our team was able to score a lot of runs without the longball.

So we came back to win game 2, 14-13.

Way to go team!

For those keeping track (i.e. me), my final line is .591 avg (13-22), 7 Runs Scored, 9 RBIs, 5 BBs, and an OBP of .667

Can't wait for next season. But my legs (after crouching all night) are more than happy for the break.

Go ROCKIES!!!!

No comments: